A Brief History
Moved by the plight of the city’s poor and homeless children, Pastor Buntain set up the first Assembly of God Church School in Kolkata in January 1964 with 200 children enrolled. The school provided education, a mid-day meal and healthy nurture, with a focus towards children from underprivileged backgrounds.
This first school was followed by nine Village Vernacular schools in rural South Bengal, established in quick succession in the 1970s. In subsequent years a second English Medium school was established in Tollygunge and a Teachers’ Training Junior College. The educational mission then extended beyond with several more schools being established in other towns of West Bengal, Jharkhand and Odisha.
The Assembly of God schools owe their existence to the vision and dedication of our beloved founders, Mark & Huldah Buntain, who in obedience to the call of God, left their home in Canada and came to Kolkata, India in October 1954.
The compassionate involvement of the Buntains, however, extended beyond education and continues even today through a feeding program for the poor in the streets and slums of Kolkata, a Multi-speciality Hospital, Nursing School, a Child Sponsorship programme, a Vocational Training Centre, homes for underprivileged children, and rescue and rehabilitation of sex trafficked women.
The Assembly of God schools continue to pursue the vision of our beloved founders as expressed in the school motto: Building a better India by building better boys and girls.